Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blogpost #7 : Too much sports is bad



I do play basketball most of the time because it is fun specially when I face stronger opponents. I love basketball so much that I spend my time watching video tutorials in the internet in order to improve my style of play. Whenever I see an empty gym, I lace up my shoes and start dribbling, the only opponent I need to beat is myself and I need to get better and better everytime I play baskeball. With that kind of attitude I could say that I'am a sporty guy. I do really love to spend my time playing rather than sitting in front of my computer. What I do not know is, too much sports could be bad for myself. I thought that the more you play sports the more you can get healthy.
                                                                       


According to the article entitled "Too Much Sport For Teenagers May Be as Bad as too Little" by Laurie Barclay in a site called "medscape" that sport practice can be widely encourage, both in guidelines and clinically practice because of its broad range of positive effects on health. However, the sport duration and the elements remains unknown, researchers are searching to determine sport durations that were associated with poor well-being. Higher levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines have been reported in very high and chronic sport practice which will result to a negative impact on physical and mental health.


Laurie stated "these results highlights the importance for physicians, caring for adolescents, to follow-up their level of sport practice and concurrently inquire about their well being" For me, playing and practicing hard in sports depends on how you treat your body into it. If you exceeded your limitations there might be some negative things that could happen to you, otherwise, there is also some positive things because of the fact that you have exceeded your limitations and brought you to a whole new level.

I have read an article entitled "Too much sports may be bad for teens health" by Honor Whiteman in a site called "medicalnewstoday" that physical activity has been associated with positive emotional well-being, reduced depressive anxiety and stress disorders, and improved self esteem and cognitive functioning in children and adolescents. They found that sports practice apparently ceased to be a protective factor and became an independent risk factor for poor well-being when practicing more than twice the 7 recommended hours per week.

Honor said that "regardless of their decision to pursue their level of practice, these adolescents probably need a supportive and closer follow up of their health and well-being". Honor is right, it depends on us on how long can we play or practice the sport we love. If you think you can still go then go, if you feel you cannot continue then rest until you are fully recovered. However, if you don't know how to handle yourself then you may need a guide or a trainer to schedule and limit you according to your abilities.









No comments:

Post a Comment